College Level Workshops
College Level Workshops
College level demonstrations require more time in front of an audience-an average demo lasts 4-5 hours (with breaks) and utilizes the exact mediums used in creating the bookâ€™s illustrations-acrylic airbrush and colored pencil. Elementary school demos, on the contrary, are created with tempera paint.
Demos last one weekend and follow an exciting schedule of events:
- Friday night: Intro slide lecture showing my high school, college and professional illustrations-all leading to The Monster Engine slides. Slide show and Q&A period lasts about 2 hours. The reason I show high school and college images stems from one studentâ€™s comment on my slideshow.
â€œI was intimidated by your work until I saw your high school and college work---it gave me hope to improve my stuff as well.â€
My goal is to motivate not intimidate.
- Saturday: Mixed media painting demo of a childâ€™s drawing--lasts 4-5 hours.
- Saturday evening: Student portfolio reviews.
- Sunday: Digital painting demo. This is invaluable in competing in todayâ€™s illustration marketplace. The demo uses the exact same drawing done on Saturday, as itâ€™s base. I scan that drawing and paint it in Photoshop for comparison of speed and medium differences. Demo lasts 4-5 hours.
This workshop includes:
- Slides showing high school, college and professional illustrations
- Slides showing Monster Engine book
- Slides showing my studio space (Slide show runs 1.5 hours)
- A question and answer period
- A four to five hour mixed media painting demo
- A four to five hour digital demo from the same sketch as the mixed media demo
- Samples of my original paintings to view
- All prep work
- One full weekend of the artistâ€™s time
Price: $2,500.00 (This does not include supplies, lodging, meals and transportation if necessary)
- â€œThe students and faculty were inspired by his slide lecture, original artwork and brilliant painting demonstration. He even had time to give the studentâ€™s critiques of their work at the end of a long day. No one could have been more generous with their time and energy. Simply putâ€¦.Dave is a class act!â€
William David Brown
Chairperson and Associate Teacher
Moore College of Art and Design
- â€œDave gave a lecture and in-class demo for our illustration students, and I can honestly say it was one of the best I've seen. His energy and enthusiasm, as well as the popular appeal of his work to many young artists, made for a stimulating and inspirational experience."
Associate Professor, Illustration
Columbus Collge of Art and Design
- â€œI was really impressed with the way Dave worked with the children. The kids loved it. They all felt really good about their project. It really raises their self esteem.â€
Teacher, Marion Mckeown Elementary School
- â€œ The way Dave involved the kids in his demonstration made for a truly unique and exciting experience!â€
Stage Struck Kids Performing Arts Center